(WSVN) - Who doesn’t love a ham and cheese sandwich? A South Florida chef shows us a French-inspired way to create this American comfort food. That’s what’s cooking tonight as we grab a Bite With Belkys.
The Chef: Pierre Morat
The Restaurant: La Estación American Brasserie, Miami
The Dish: Croque Monsieur
- (Can be made in bigger quantities and frozen)
- 20 pieces Sliced bread
- 2 cups Melted butter
- 40 slices Ham (plain)
- 5 cups Mornay sauce:
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 cup Flour
- 3 cups Cold milk
- 3 cups Gruyère cheese (or whatever other grated cheese you prefer)
Method of Preparation for Mornay sauce:
- Melt the butter in a pot, add the flour and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the milk and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and add grated Gruyère.
- Season with salt and pepper, cool down and keep refrigerated in pastry bag.
Method of Preparation for Croque Monsieur:
- Spread melted butter on both sides of bread, place slices on baking sheet and allow one side to toast under broiler.
- Take out and spread Mornay sauce on toasted side of bread.
- Layer on sliced ham and cover with other slice of bread (toasted side down).
- Wrap individually and keep refrigerated for few hours before slicing each sandwich into four fingers.
- Cook in pan or panini press, finish in hot oven for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle grated Gruyère over slices before serving with side salad or fries.
Serves: 4 slices per person.
La Estación American Brasserie
(at Central Fare inside Virgin MiamiCentral)
550 NW 1st Ave., Suite 240
Miami, FL 33136
Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.