WSVN — May is “National Hamburger Month” and we’re celebrating with one of Miami’s hottest chefs. Ground beef is on the menu as we grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Allen Susser
The Restaurant: The Café at Books & Books at the Arsht Center in Downtown Miami
The Dish: Sears Burger & Fried Urban Pickles
4 8 oz. hand-shaped burger patties (each patty is blend of brisket, chuck, and sirloin)
1 tsp. burger spice (equal parts kosher salt, fresh ground black peppercorns, fennel, cumin)
4 slices tomato
4 slices cheddar cheese
8 Chef Allen’s urban pickles hot & sassy chips (or your favorite)
2 tbs. secret sauce (equal parts homemade mayo, ketchup plus one tablespoon each Sriracha, pickle juice, ground ginger)
1 cup slaw (equal parts zucchini, carrot, red onion, chives, tarragon with a tablespoon of vinegar)
4 fresh brioche sesame buns – toasted and split
1 jar Chef Allen’s Urban Pickles – Hot & Sassy (or your favorite)
1 cup All-Purpose flour
4 large eggs
2 cups Panko bread crumbs
¼ cup fine cornmeal
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1 tsp. freshly cracked black peppercorns
peanut oil for frying
Method of Preparation:
– Start by seasoning the hamburger meat (a blend of ground brisket, chuck and sirloin). Season with a secret spice blend- equal parts sea salt- black pepper- toasted cumin and fennel seeds.
– Grill the burger at 450 degrees for several minutes on each side.
– While that’s cooking, toast the buns. When you see the grill marks, set aside.
– Flip the burger and when it’s almost done, take it off the direct heat and add a slice of cheddar cheese. When the cheese melts, plate the burger on the toasted bread and add sliced tomato, slaw, sliced pickles and Chef’s secret sauce. Top with the bread and set aside.
– Time to fry the pickles! Chef Allen uses his homemade Hot and Sassy pickles but you can use your favorite. Flour each pickle chip lightly and dip in egg wash- then in an equal mix of cornmeal and panko bread crumbs.
– Fry in peanut oil (or vegetable oil) at 350 degrees for about a minute until golden brown. Drain them on a paper towel and they’re ready to plate!
– Serve the Sears Burger and Fried Urban Pickles with Dijon Mustard and fresh Dill Tzatziki Sauce.
Serving suggestion: Wild Rose Cocktail
The Café at Books & Books
Adrienne Arsht Center
1300 Biscayne Boulevard
Miami, FL 33132
For the latest and greatest on all things culinary, check out my Bite Blog.