We wrap up our special series, featuring members of the 7News team showing off their culinary talents, with 7News reporter, Sheldon Fox. Tonight, Sheldon Fox and his mother are in the kitchen whipping up an American classic.
Meat and potatoes are on the menu as we grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Sheldon Fox
The Dish: Roast Filet of Beef
1 filet roast trimmed and tied
5 stalks of Fresh rosemary
3 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and sliced
4 jalapeño peppers, sliced
1 sliced red onion
1 sliced white onion
1 sliced shallot
4 Tbs. olive oil
2 cups Vegetable oil
Method of Preparation:
– Work long springs of rosemary lengthwise under the strings on a filet of beef. Trim the ends of the rosemary so they’re even with the filet.
– Next, put olive oil in a roasting pan and make sure the roast is also covered. Sprinkle on kosher salt and pepper….then put it in the oven at 425 degrees for 25 minutes.
– To make the fries…slice the potatoes.. like steak fries… and do the same with the jalapeños. Put the sliced potatoes in water to keep them fresh. Slice red and white onions and shallots and set aside.
– Add vegetable oil to a pot and get it hot. Drain the potatoes and pat them dry on a paper towel. When the oil starts to sizzle add the potatoes a little at time. When they potatoes start to brown…. add the onions and jalapeños.
When they’re done- let them drain on a paper towel. Blot the oil… and add some salt.
– When the roast is done…take out the rosemary and it’s time to plate.
Make a bed with the fries… then put the roast on top. Cut the meat into serving-sized pieces and it’s dinner time!!!
Serving Suggestion: Beer