FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. (WSVN) - The Museum of Discovery and Science reopened with restrictions on Tuesday for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic forced its shutdown.
The museum reopened to members only from Tuesday through Sunday and will reopen to the general public on June 23.
Officials for the venue said they are following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Broward County protocols to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
“Our staff has just been working so hard to do something really exciting for all of our members to come back and enjoy the museum in a safe and friendly way,” said Joseph P. Cox, the museum’s president and CEO.
MODS’ Welcome Back Plan includes modified operation hours, new visitor guidelines, timed ticket requirements and deep cleaning exhibit closures.
The museum will be open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. On Sundays, the hours of operation are 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
However, the museum will close daily for a deep cleaning Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 2 p.m. and Sundays from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
On Mondays, the museum will only be open for limited prearranged school or other group visits.
Among other changes at the museum:
- Visitors will be asked a series of health questions relating to COVID-19 symptoms and have a touchless temperature check prior to entry.
- Visitors over the age of 2 are required to wear a mask or face covering.
- Certain exhibits and rides will be closed.
- Signs will be posted for suggested routes through exhibits and social distancing.
- Re-entry of visitors will not be permitted.
- Timed ticket reservations will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Online ticket reservations can be made ahead of time by clicking here. Walk-up purchases can be made through credit card payments only.
- The AutoNation IMAX Theater will be operating at 30% capacity. Additional time will be added between showtimes to allow for a deep clean of the theater.
The museum’s Expedition: Dinosaur exhibit has been extended through Sept. 7.
For more information on the Museum of Discovery and Science’s reopening, click here.
Copyright 2021 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.