MIAMI (WSVN) - A man remains hospitalized after a firework mishap during a New Year’s Eve celebration.
The victim, identified as 25-year-old Orlando Perez, underwent surgery on both hands at Jackson Memorial Hospital, according to his family. Perez’s condition was listed as stable, Tuesday.
Perez was seriously injured after a firework exploded while he was still holding it, early Monday morning.
The incident took place outside a home at Northwest 51st Avenue and 186th Street, where partygoers were setting off fireworks in the street, just after 1 a.m.
Perez was rushed to Hialeah Hospital and from there was airlifted to JMH. Both of Perez’s hands could be seen bandaged as he was wheeled into the hospital.
Perez’s family said he is training to be a mechanic.
Friends called this a “tragic situation.”
Neighbors could be seen cleaning up fireworks debris. Blood was also seen on the ground.
Perez’s family told 7News that he may lose multiple fingers but are still waiting to hear back from doctors.
There has been no update from JMH about Perez’s condition.
Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.