1 dead after apparent kidnapping leads to police-involved shooting

SOUTH MIAMI-DADE, Fla. (WSVN) — Officials are investigating after a kidnapping led to a deadly police-involved shooting in South Miami-Dade.

According to Miami-Dade Police, a man was shot and killed by a 23-year veteran of the Miami-Dade Police Department after the kidnapper confronted him around 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, near Southwest 355th Street and Southwest 180th Avenue.

According to officials, the man and woman were divorced and had four children together. All of the children are in the custody of the Florida Department of Children and Families because of a prior incident.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, Miami-Dade Police and Homestead Police responded to the scene investigating, Wednesday night.

Police said the investigation began at around 6:20 p.m., Wednesday, when officials received a 911 call from the woman trapped inside the vehicle’s trunk, who said she was being kidnapped. Police were able to track that vehicle down to a wooded area near Florida City.

Upon arrival, police found the vehicle but not the driver. Shortly after, a Miami-Dade K-9 officer was confronted by the subject, who was holding a shotgun. That’s when police said the officer was forced to fire.

"We’re standing around, we hear ‘Pow,’" said Jean Baptiste, who lives nearby and watched as police searched for the suspect. "So everybody started running, ducking and hiding, trying to jump in cars, leaving and everything, and it was only one shot. It was no more than one shot."

The subject was pronounced dead on the scene.

"The victim was located shortly thereafter, thankfully safe and is now speaking to the police," said Miami-Dade Police Detective Jennifer Capote. "Obviously, [she’s] shaken up. This could’ve ended very badly for her after she was kidnapped. Who knows what the end result of this would’ve been for her?"

No one was transported to the hospital. 7News was told the woman is OK. 

Police have not yet released the names of those involved.

The body of the suspected kidnapper was taken away by the Medical Examiner’s Office. At this time, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement has taken over the investigation.