French toast is a favorite breakfast treat and tonight’s recipe is to die for. That’s what’s on the menu as we grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Larry Hawks
The Restaurant: Green Eggs Cafe in Aventura
The Dish: Crème Brûlée French Toast
1 dozen large eggs (beaten)
4 cups Heavy Cream
½ cup sugar
½ cup vanilla extract
9 pieces Challah Bread
1 pint strawberries
1 pint blueberries
1 pint blackberries
1 pint raspberries
4 cups water
2 cups sugar
(you can sub frozen mixed berries for fresh berries)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
½ cup cold water
13 each egg yolks
1 quart heavy cream
1 cup sugar
4 each vanilla beans
Method of Preparation:
– Start by making the berry compote. In a pot add water and sugar and bring it to a simmer. Next, add fresh strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries and bring to a boil. Add cornstarch and blend well. When it thickens, take it off the burner, set aside and let it cool in the fridge.
– To make the Crème Brûlée sauce, add heavy cream and sugar to a pan and simmer for several minutes. Add vanilla beans (try to open them up when you put them in, then break them up while stirring). If you don’t have vanilla beans, you can also use vanilla extract. Whisk in the egg yolks and simmer till it thickens. Remember to keep stirring or your eggs might scramble in the sauce. When the sauce coats the spoon strain out the beans, set aside and let it cool.
– For the batter, add whole eggs to a bowl and whisk them together. Add sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Blend well and dip Challah bread in the mix and coat the pieces well.
– Put some butter on the grill or in a skillet then grill the bread about two minutes on each side until golden brown.
– Slice the toast and squeeze some maple syrup on the plate. Stack the toast on top of the syrup, then top it with the berry compote then the Crème Brûlée sauce and some whipped cream. Finally, add fresh strawberries and blueberries. Garnish with mint and powdered sugar.
Serving suggestion: Nutella Latte
Green Eggs Cafe
18729 Biscayne Blvd
Aventura, FL 33180
Show a copy of the recipe and get a complimentary cup of gourmet coffee or tea with your meal now through May 7 and for the latest and greatest on all things culinary, check out my Bite Blog.