(WSVN) - A South Florida restaurant is serving an old Southern favorite — with a Latin twist. That’s what’s cooking as we grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Giovanni Fesser
The Restaurant: Baby Jane in Miami
The Dish: Pork Belly and Plantains
5 lb. pork belly
Temptation Caramel Sauce
2 cups sour orange
1 quart, 1 cup red wine vinegar
2 cups sugar
5 white pearl onions
2 ripe plantains
1 cup canola oil
cilantro for garnish
Method of Preparation:
– Roast pork belly in the oven at 475 degrees for 40 minutes until skin is crispy. Lower the temperature to 375 degrees for 1 1/2 hours until pork is tender. Remove and set aside.
– To make the Temptation Caramel Sauce, add sugar to a dry pot and cook on medium low until the sugar starts melting. When it’s half melted, add shallots and garlic and slowly cook until they are also half cooked. Add sour orange and red wine vinegar and reduce by half until you reach the correct viscosity.
– Peel plantains and cut into 1 inch pieces. Fry them in canola oil until tender.
– Cut white pearl onions in half and sauté until caramelized. Set aside.
– Cut the pork belly into portions and put them on the grill to warm, several minutes on each side.
Plate the pork first, then add the caramelized pearl onions with the plantains and drizzle the Temptation Caramel Sauce over the top. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Serving Suggestion: Del Toro Cocktail
500 Brickell Avenue, 105E
Miami, FL 33131
Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.