MIAMI (WSVN) - A panel decided a Miami condo building would remain closed on Friday after residents were evacuated due to it being deemed unsafe.
The columns of the building at 5050 NW 7th St. were said to be corroded.
Building officials received a notice of violations last month, including a failure to obtain a 40-year recertification.
“They began work without a permit on repairing the columns,” City of Miami Building Department spokesperson Maurice Pons said. “They reduced the size of the columns, and that created an unsafe condition. Until the shoring is put in place correctly and the repairs are done to those columns, the building cannot be reinhabited.”
On Aug. 10, residents were ordered out of their homes in the middle of the night.
It remains unknown when residents will be allowed to go back or when repairs are scheduled to begin.
The building remains closed until further notice.
Copyright 2021 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.