Crews begin to remove bus that crashed into Miami building

MIAMI (WSVN) - Crews have begun the process of removing a bus that crashed into a Miami building.

The transit bus remains stuck in the building four days after a dangerous drive took place along Northwest Second Avenue and 54th Street on Sunday.

The removal is risky. City officials said the building the bus is lodged into is unsafe and will have to be demolished.

“To prevent any further collapsing of the building, we’ve declared an emergency, and the property is going to be demolished,” said City of Miami spokesperson Stephanie Severino.

Crews worked to secure the structure so they could work on removing the bus, Thursday.

Tow trucks were called to the scene to slowly remove the bus.

They brought in a crane, support beams and specialty tools in an attempt to make a successful removal.

“Trying to support the building and make it steady, so we can bring the bus out,” said Miami-Dade Department of Public Works crew member German Arenes.

The bus remained in the building while inspectors and code enforcers surveyed the structure.

“The bus went in and knocked down a corner column,” Arenes said. “That means that is a big section of the second floor that is unsupported. If we were to bring the bus out without taking precautions, most likely the building section will come down.”

The crash happened after the transit bus and a pickup truck collided, causing the bus to slam into the building. The impact sent 10 passengers to the hospital.

The passengers on board the bus were not the only ones affected by the crash.

The bus crashed into Omega Fashions, which has been in business for 40 years, according to owner Arsene Omega.

“I won’t be the one to replace it, but the building could be replaced, the bus can be replaced,” Omega said, “but life cannot be replaced. After all, life goes on.”

The city determined the structure was unsafe, Thursday, and they have given him three days to remove his inventory and other items.

Severino said, “Immediately after he vacates — he’s been given 72 hours — the city will come in and demolish the property.”

The full process to remove the bus is expected to take several hours and will happen sometime before 6 p.m.

The city is reminding residents to avoid the area while they continue the removal. No word on when the streets will be reopened.

Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.