PLANTATION, FLA. (WSVN) - Police have taken a man into custody in a Plantation neighborhood after he barricaded himself inside a Jeep SUV when he was approached by police in connection to a possible vehicle burglary.

Cellphone video captured the moment that the subject appeared to surrender, Friday night, bringing the hours-long standoff to an end.

“Keep your hands up! Keep your hands up! Get out of the vehicle,” an officer is heard telling the subject, seen wearing a red shirt, with his hands raised.

Officers took him down to the ground before they handcuffed him.

Plantation and Sunrise Police units responded to the scene near Northwest 65th Avenue, near Cypress Road, Friday afternoon.

Area residents said the encounter between officers and the subject started at around 4 p.m.

After making contact with the subject, police officers called in two SWAT teams when he refused to exit the vehicle.

7SkyForce hovered above the SUV as it was blocked off by a SWAT vehicle in front and another behind it.

The subject was seen moving around inside the SUV through the front driver’s side window.

SWAT teams secured the area and tried to negotiate with the subject.

The area was closed off to the public for several hours. Traffic was not allowed in or out of the area.

“It’s very concerning because we don’t even know – we come out one night, and all this could happen,” said area resident Karma Carter.

Residents who were home were told to stay inside.

“We really couldn’t go out or do anything,” said a neighbor. “I was gonna go to the store; you can’t get out.”

At one point, the subject used his cellphone to take pictures and record video of the officers from inside the SUV.

At around 7:15 p.m., police confirmed the man was taken into custody.

The cellphone video captured the subject as he walked backward toward officers and obeyed their commands.

He was detained, walked over to a Plantation Police cruiser and taken away.

Soon after, two women showed up and appeared to grab items from the Jeep SUV before it was towed away.

Area residents who spoke with 7News said they’re just glad no one was hurt.

Police have not disclosed the man’s name or specified the charges that he might face.

Copyright 2022 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox