MIAMI (WSVN) - A 9-month-old boy is recovering at the hospital after suffering burns from boiling water in Miami Gardens.

Miami Gardens Police and Miami-Dade Fire Rescue units responded to the scene at an apartment building on the 5400 block of Northwest 159th Street just after 9:30 a.m., Monday.

7News cameras captured police officers going into the unit.

According to neighbors, the mother was boiling water on the stove when she turned with the pot of water and tripped over the baby, who was crawling on the floor.

The infant was airlifted in stable condition to Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Cameras showed a paramedic carrying the baby from the helicopter to the hospital. A bandage was visible on the boy’s side.

The victim’s neighbor, Ester Reynoso, said she was saddened to hear about the incident.

“It’s sad to me. I hope the family is OK, you know?” she said. “I sent my prayers to them and everything.”

Back at the apartment complex, the child’s father was seen speaking with investigators as crime scene technicians combed through the family’s apartment.

“She’s a mother. You know how that could feel. I wouldn’t want to feel that ever. I hope everything gets better for you guys,” said neighbor Ester Reynoso, as she wiped away tears.

Reynoso, whose infant daughter sometimes played with the family’s children, said she puts herself in those parents’ shoes.

“It’s scary, and I didn’t know. It just happened out of nowhere,” she said, “and I have an 11-month-baby in there.”

The father of the child said he is not aware of the extent of his son’s burns.

Police believe this was an accident, but they continue to investigate.

Copyright 2023 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox