AMESBURY, England (AP) — British police say two Britons who fell critically ill in the town of Amesbury were exposed to nerve agent Novichok, the same material used to poison a former Russian spy in a nearby area last spring.
Medical officials said Wednesday people who had been in the area where the couple had been should take precautions and wash their clothes.
Police said it is unclear if this incident is linked to the earlier poisoning of Sergei and Yulia Skripal, or if the batch was the same as the one that poisoned them on March 4.
Counter-terrorism police detective Neil Basu said it is unclear if the couple were targeted or if the poisoning was accidental.
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.