(CNN) — The New York City Police Department arrested and charged a suspect in connection with the four subway stabbings that left two people dead over the weekend, the NYPD’s Transit Bureau tweeted Sunday.

The suspect has been charged with murder and attempted murder, the Transit Bureau said. CNN is not naming the person publicly identified by the NYPD at this time, and is attempting to identify their attorney.

“This investigation continues, and we thank everyone for the help they provided in this case,” said the Transit Bureau, which is responsible for the safety and security of New York City’s subway passengers.

NYPD deployed 500 troops on subway system

The arrest follows NYPDs deployment of an additional 500 officers to patrol the city’s subway system after four stabbings in less than 24 hours.

Victims in the four separate incidents were “cut with a sharp object,” NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said in a news conference Saturday afternoon.

“The bottom line that the public should know is this: They can expect to see a very large footprint of uniformed officers deployed throughout New York City whether they go onto a train or whether they go onto a platform,” Shea said.

Shea said the four attacks occurred on the A line, a subway line that runs between northern Manhattan and Queens.

Besides the two deaths, two other victims are recovering from their injuries. All four victims were homeless and the attacks appear to be unprovoked, said Deputy Chief Brian McGee, the commanding officer of the Manhattan North detective bureau.

The attacks began on Friday morning when a 67-year old man was stabbed by an unknown man inside the 181 Street station in upper Manhattan and later treated at a nearby hospital, NYPD Chief of Transit Kathleen O’Reilly told reporters.

An adult male was found dead with “stab wounds to his neck and torso” on the A-train at the Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue train station in Queens on Friday around 11:30 p.m., O’Reilly said.

Approximately two hours later on Saturday, an unconscious 44-year-old woman was found inside a train car at the Inwood 207 Street station in upper Manhattan with “multiple stab wounds,” according to O’Reilly. The woman was taken to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead, O’Reilly said.

Less than 20 minutes after that incident, police officers responded to calls about a 43-year-old man who was stabbed at the 181 Street station. He told officers he was stabbed by an unknown man and was taken to a hospital where he underwent surgery, according to McGee.

“Three of these incidents appear to be connected and the Detective Bureau is looking into the possibility that all four could have been committed by one individual,” O’Reilly said.

The-CNN-Wire™ & © 2024 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox