TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio man accused of chaining a female teenage relative in a basement as punishment has pleaded not guilty to charges of kidnapping and child endangering, and his father is set for arraignment on the same counts.
Twenty-seven-year-old Esten Ciboro (SIH’-bohr-oh) entered his plea Wednesday. Fifty-three-year-old Timothy Ciboro’s arraignment is Thursday.
A judge raised their bond Wednesday to more than $1.1 million and said they can’t have contact with the girl.
Timothy Ciboro has said the girl wasn’t mistreated. Messages were left Thursday for their attorneys.
The men were arrested last month after the teen ran from their Toledo home and told police she used a spare key to unlock herself.
The Blade newspaper reports that the girl and two other children from the home are now in foster care.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.