(WSVN) - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is issuing a warning for parents and caregivers against the dangers posed by honey-filled pacifiers or pacifiers dipped in honey.
The FDA said four infants have been hospitalized with botulism. According to the Texas Department of State and Health Services, each child had a pacifier filled with honey that was bought in Mexico, though they note the same pacifiers are available in the U.S. as well.
Botulism is a rare but serious illness caused by a toxin that attacks the body’s nerves and causes difficulty breathing, muscle paralysis, and even death.
The FDA says honey is a known source of one of the bacterias that causes botulism.
Infants are incredibly susceptible to the disease due to their undeveloped digestive systems. As a result, the FDA says parents and caregivers should not give honey or honey products to children younger than 12 months old.
According to the Texas Health Department, honey-filled pacifiers are not common in the United States, but they may be available in specialty stores or online.
Officials also recommend avoiding pacifiers filled with any other food substance.
Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.