HALLANDALE BEACH, FLA. (WSVN) - A 14-year-old boy is now recovering after a firework landed on his head on the Fourth of July.
Brandon Miller sports bandages that cover the burns he received after a firework landed on his head. “At first, I thought it was just people playing, until it started burning, and I tried to pull it out, and my head was smoking real bad,” Miller said.
Miller said he wasn’t even playing with the firework when it exploded. “When I was on my phone, I saw a whole burst of light, and that is when people started running, and it hit me on my head,” Miller said. “It was burning, and then it started burning my hand when I had to touch it, but I was just trying to get it out. It didn’t really matter.”
The teen was celebrating Independence Day in Hallandale Beach with his family. He kept his distance from the pyrotechnics. However, one shot across the street in his direction. “He wasn’t even playing with it,” said Miller’s grandmother, Grenee Griffin.. “He was just somewhere on his phone standing around, but like I tell him, what goes up must come down.”
Miller’s family rushed him to Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital where he was treated for the burns on his head. However, he is simply grateful the firework didn’t hit him in the eye. “If I was looking up, it could have hit me up in my face,” Miller said.
Miller has big dreams of being a pilot one day and starts at an aviation magnet school next year. His grandmother said, “You are just getting into the school — first year going to Aviation Baker, and then this happens? That could have messed him up for good. Thank God that didn’t happen.”
This family’s advice is to leave the fireworks to the professionals. “And let people know when they have a firework that is about to go off,” Miller said.
Miller is going to be OK. However, his biggest worry is if his hair will ever grow back on his head.
Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.