DEERFIELD BEACH, FLA. (WSVN) - According to Broward Sheriff’s Fire Rescue, it is once again safe for Publix employees to enter a distribution warehouse that had an ammonia leak.
Several hundred of the workers had to be evacuated, Friday, at around 10 a.m., due to an ammonia leak. They were left outside for hours, as crews treated some of the workers and then went in to find the leak at the Publix Distribution Center warehouse, located at 777 S.W. 12th Ave., in Deerfield Beach.
“When our crews got here, we had employees already being evacuated,” said BSO fire rescue spokesperson Mike Jachles.
As many as six people had to be evaluated after they complained about having respiratory issues. They were transported to the Broward Health North as a precaution.
A large amount of ammonia is necessary at the warehouse, as it is used as a coolant in the building’s refrigeration system.
The all clear to return to work was given at around 3:30 p.m.
Hazmat and fire crews have cleared the scene.
Only one area is still off limits as Publix waits for a private company to make additional repairs.
Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.