Subjects in custody after police-involved shooting in South Beach; 2 injured

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (WSVN) — Three people, including a suspected shooter, are waking up in the hospital Monday morning, after two separate shootings on Miami Beach over the Memorial Day weekend.

The ordeal started along the 200 block of Ocean Drive, where two people were shot. Police followed the suspected gunman all the way to Sixth Street and Alton Road, where it all ended with officers being forced to fire.

Officers shut down Alton Road between Fifth and 10th streets for hours, as they set up a perimeter. As of Monday morning it remains shutdown between Fifth and Eighth Street.

Authorities also shut down all eastbound lanes of the MacArthur Causeway, stranding thousands of passengers Sunday night.

7News cameras captured a police helicopter circling above the scene of the second shooting, as traffic came to a standstill.

“I came out trying to catch an Uber, and then there’s a whole bunch of traffic going on, so I’m not really quite sure,” said South Beach visitor Anthony Tannelhill. “That street is blocked off, and I’m just trying to enjoy Memorial Day weekend.”

Terrified witnesses in the area took to social media and posted videos that captured audio of the gunfire. One cellphone video shows officers with their guns drawn and pointed in one direction.

Tannelhill said the shootings disrupt holiday weekend festivities that should remain safe for revelers. “It’s terrible. It’s prime time for people like us, out in the city, just trying to have a good time,” he said.

Police later tweeted that they had apprehended all subjects involved in the shootings.

Paramedics transported two people to Jackson Memorial Hospital in unknown condition.

Officials have not disclosed how many people in total were involved in the incident, or what unfolded in between both shootings. However, police are expected to hold a news conference at 9 a.m., Monday.

This was the second shooting to rock South Beach during Memorial Day weekend. Several young men were detained after, investigators said, a man fired his weapon into an occupied taxi cab near Sixth Street and Collins Avenue, Saturday evening.

On Sunday, 25-year-old Dontavious Johnson was charged with assault with a deadly weapon, among other charges, in connection with Saturday’s shooting.