(CNN/WSVN) — Learning something new seems like the perfect way to usher in autumn.
The fall equinox takes place on Saturday, September 22. It’s also Museum Day in the United States.
Nearly 1,500 US museums are participating in Smithsonian magazine’s Museum Day, when institutions in all 50 states and the District of Columbia offer free admission to anyone with a Museum Day ticket.
Museum goers can download tickets for participating museums online by visiting Smithsonian magazine’s website. Tickets provide free admission for two people, and they can be downloaded through 3 p.m. on September 22.
Most of the Smithsonian Institution’s 19 properties offer free entry every day, but the event clears the path to free admission to more than 1,400 additional museums across the country.
Smaller art museums, historic homes, lighthouses, forts and more are all among the wide range of institutions participating in the fee-free day.
Museum-goers are only allowed to download one ticket per email address. “Choose wisely! There are no takebacks,” Smithsonian magazine’s website cautions.
Certain museums may also require printouts of the downloaded tickets. Look for an asterisk under the museum address with the note, “*Printed ticket required.”
To search for a participating museum near you, click here.
The following South Florida museums are offering free admission for Museum Day:
- Ancient Spanish Monastery – North Miami Beach
- Coral Gables Museum – Coral Gables
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden – Miami
- Gold Coast Railroad Museum – Miami
- HistoryMiami Museum
- Lowe Art Museum – Coral Gables
- The Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum – Miami
- Art and Culture Center – Hollywood
- Deerfield Beach Old School House
- History Fort Lauderdale
- International Swimming Hall of Fame – Ft Lauderdale
- NSU Art Museum – Ft Lauderdale
- Old Davie School Historical Museum
- Sample McDougald House – Pompano Beach
- Seaboard Air Line Railroad Station – Deerfield Beach
- The Historic Butler House Museum – Deerfield Beach
- Young at Art Museum – Davie
- Florida Keys History & Discovery Center – Islamorada
- Harry S Truman Little White House State Historic Landmark – Key West
- History of Diving Museum – Islamorada
- Key West Museum of Art and History
- Key West Tropical Forest and Botanical Garden
- Mel Fisher Maritime Museum – Key West
The-CNN-Wire™ & © 2023 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.