FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. (WSVN) - An investigation is underway after two bodies, including one of a middle school student, were found inside a mobile home that went up in flames overnight.

It all happened just before 3 a.m. Wednesday, along the 1300 block of S.W. 44th Terrace, near Fort Lauderdale.

According to neighbors, a mother, a father and their teenage daughter lived in the mobile home. However, neighbors said they did not see anyone come out of the home when the blaze broke out.

“It’s horrifying, it’s horrifying to know this,” said one neighbor. “It was minor at first, but quickly, in a few minutes, it started spreading.”

7’s Skyforce HD hovered over the scene where the flames were.

7News spoke with a neighbor of the family, who is in the seventh grade. He said he saw his classmate on the bus, Tuesday, but woke up to the news that her home had burned down overnight. “She was a nice girl. She would talk on the bus to her friends,” said Kenneth Colon. “She really didn’t get in trouble.”

Another seventh grader was saddened by the news. “It’s very sad that a student here died in a fire,” said Stefan Estevez. “It’s one of the worst ways to die. It’s super painful.”

Officials have confirmed that one of the victims is a teenage girl who was in the seventh grade. They have not yet released the identities of the two victims nor their relationship to one another.

The third person was found safe at another location. This person is speaking with investigators. “Detectives are not releasing any information as to any relationship of the victims,” said Broward Fire Rescue Mike Jachles. “What we can say is that there was a male and a female victim that died in this mobile home fire.”

“At this moment, we have one male and one female that have been confirmed dead,” said Broward Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Keyla Concepcion. “The ages have not been determined at his point, nor identities or anything of that nature. We do have the State Fire Marshal’s Office who is present, as well as homicide detectives and BSO crime scene working our scene, conducting the investigation.”

The scene remained active well into Wednesday morning as officials investigated. Investigators noted that they didn’t hear smoke alarms when they arrived on the scene.

School counselors were made available throughout Wednesday at the victim’s school for support during this difficult time.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Copyright 2022 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox