CORAL GABLES, FLA. (WSVN) - Several police agencies worked together to capture two people described as persons of interest in a shooting in downtown Coral Gables that left a man dead.

Speaking with reporters on Friday afternoon, Coral Gables Police Chief Ed Hudak confirmed the subjects were apprehended without incident.

“We are here to announce both subjects, our persons of interest, are in custody without incident,” he said.

Coral Gables Police units responded to a call about a shooting at Ten Aragon Condominium along Aragon Avenue, at around 10 a.m., Friday.

A 7News source said a handyman at the building was shot at close range in an alley.

Surveillance video showed the shooters searching the man’s pockets after the killing.

“A description was given to our units that a vehicle had fled the scene at a high rate of speed with two individuals inside,” said Hudak.

People who work nearby were shocked that a shooting went down in the area.

“Murder? I mean, it’s the fact that there’s a homicide, seems very shocking,” said Rebecca Pustea.

“It’s crazy. It’s the first time something so awful has happened so far here,” said Francisco Acosta.

Investigators said a Coral Gables K-9 unit later spotted the subjects’ car and began to pursue it, which led police to a neighborhood in Coconut Grove where the subjects’ vehicle crashed.

The subjects fled in opposite directions, which prompted police to set up a perimeter.

7News cameras captured the SWAT team and heavily armed officers as they searched the neighborhood in the area of Southwest 27th and Bird avenues.

A man who asked to remain anonymous told 7News he had an encounter with the shooters as they tried to get away.

“He almost hit my car coming down the road. This is unexpected for the area, very unexpected,” said the bystander, “but I will tell you something: I think the other one is in that building somewhere.”

After receiving tips from residents about seeing men on the run, police were able to take them into custody.

7SkyForce hovered above the scene as investigators combed for clues and a person sat on a curb with their head hanging down.

Hudak thanked the public for aiding in the capture of the two subjects, and he thanked the Miami-Dade and City of Miami police departments for their assistance.

“We worked together, we worked together quickly, and we were able to take these two people off the street for further investigation,” said Hudak.

A motive for the shooting has not been determined.

Several roads in Coconut Grove, including 27th Avenue and Tigertail Avenue, remained blocked off for hours while crime scene investigators worked the scene. They have since reopened to traffic.

Miami-Dade Police have taken the lead in the investigation.

Copyright 2022 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox