MIAMI GARDENS, FLA. (WSVN) - A man walked into the Big Lots in Miami Gardens, shot and killed one of the store managers, then walked back outside and turned the gun on himself, police said.

Miami Gardens Police responded to the scene of the murder-suicide at the department store, located at 5580 NW 167th St., Tuesday night,

Investigators said the incident occurred at around 9:45 p.m. when initial reports indicate that a male suspect shot the store manager inside the retailer.

Police said a Hispanic adult male entered the store and targeted a Hispanic female inside the store before stepping outside and shooting himself. The store was closed to customers at the time.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue pronounced them both dead at the scene.

7News cameras on Wednesday captured restoration crews entering the store.

Javier Rosello, an eyewitness to the events, said he heard a gunshot outside the store.

“I hear one shot, one shot, the one where he killed himself. Inside, maybe because the doors were closed, I don’t hear anything,” he said, “because I’m around here, the gas station, and by the time I run very close to him, I see him dropping to the floor.”

Rossello added that several employees remained inside the store, grappling with the terrifying ordeal.

“All the ladies at the registers, they are with the police, they are terrified … and those ladies got crazy and ran out. That’s all I see,” he said.

The store remained closed to customers on Wednesday.

Late Wednesday afternoon, a spokesperson for Big Lots issued a statement that reads, “Big Lots is deeply saddened by the events that took place in Miami [Gardens] last night. We have confirmed that one of our team members was killed. Our heartfelt condolences go out to her family and loved ones, and we have reached out to offer support. Remote and onsite counseling resources are being made available to our teams in the area. The store is currently closed, and we are continuing to support local authorities in their investigation.”

Wednesday night, customer Antwone Speight returned to the Big Lots after a quick stop on Tuesday was delayed 24 hours due to the shooting.

“I had to come back and get my items from yesterday. I wasn’t able to because this guy had other things on his mind,” he said.

As police continue their investigation into this incident, they have yet to release the identity of the victims.

Copyright 2023 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox