MIAMI GARDENS, FLA. (WSVN) - A South Florida woman said a well-respected and nationally known track coach betrayed her family’s trust when he molested her two daughters.

Home surveillance video from January shows 45-year-old Darius Lawshea roaming the halls of a Miami Gardens home.

“A tense moment, especially to see him going in her room,” the mother said.

The concerned mother said her daughter had locked herself in a bathroom and called her on the phone.

“That’s when she told me that he was in the house, and she was afraid to come out of the bathroom,” said the mother. “As a grown man, if you’re coming to check up on a child or whatever, why would you be in her bedroom?”

The surveillance video is now evidence in a case against Lawshea, the head coach of Miami Gardens Xpress Track and Field.

“He befriended us, and that’s how he gained our trust, really. I really trusted him. He was so helpful, so I really thought that he was a friend,” said the mother. “In reality, he was just using me to hurt my kids.”

The suspect surrendered to police on Sunday.

Lawshea made his first court appearance on Monday.

“This is an individual who is going to fight for his innocence,” said an attorney.

Lawshea faces two counts of child molestation and three counts of sexual battery on a minor.

The mother said two of the victims are her children, both of them former members of Lawshea’s track club, and for both, the alleged abuse began at age 14.

“My youngest daughter had made accusations, stating that he was touching her and he was molesting her,” she said.

The mother said this alleged abuse took place last year. When she went to police months later, her older daughter, now 24, came forward and stated that she was raped by Lawshea 10 years ago.

“He was a pillar of the community, and she didn’t believe that anyone would believe her,” said the mother.

The mother believes the surveillance video, recorded one month after the family went to police, demonstrates a pattern: Lawshea going to their home when her teen daughter was alone.

What the suspect didn’t know was that this time he was already under investigation.

“He [told me], ‘I was just checking up on stuff.’ I told him, ‘No, don’t check up on stuff and don’t come to my house moving forward,'” said the mother.

The family has not had contact with Lawshea since. The victims’ mother said that while she’s thankful he is locked up, she regrets it didn’t happen sooner.

“If he did it to my two [daughters], there’s other children out there who are going through the same thing,” she said. “Nobody should have to go through this: no children, no parent, especially [from] somebody that they instilled their trust in.”

The mother said she wishes Lawshea had been arrested sooner, but she is happy that he is now behind bars.

“If you are going to be looking after people’s kids, if people trust you, these kids, you’re supposed to treat them as your own,” she said.

According to the arrest report, at least one more alleged victim has come forward.

Lawshea now faces two counts of child molestation and three counts of sexual battery on a minor.

He has been denied bond on all of the counts against him and remains behind bars.

Copyright 2024 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox