WEST MIAMI-DADE, FLA. (WSVN) - Police said they have made five arrests in connection to the shooting of a Miami-Dade Police narcotics officer who was making an arrest in Miami, including the man who pulled the trigger.

7News cameras captured 32-year-old Steve Gallon IV as he was led inside the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center in West Miami-Dade, Thursday night.

The alleged gunman, who faces a charge of attempted murder of a law enforcement officer with a firearm, is the son of Miami-Dade School Board member Dr. Steve Gallon III.

According to investigators, Gallon IV ambushed the victim while he was arresting another man in the area of Northwest 42nd Street and Fifth Avenue, just after 4 p.m., Wednesday.

The shooting kicked off an intense manhunt that led officers to set up a large perimeter in the Buena Vista West neighborhood. Officers in tactical gear from multiple agencies went door-to-door in search of the suspects.

Wednesday night, police confirmed they had apprehended the man who was initially going to be arrested. He was later identified as 30-year-old Atiba Moore.

Police took the four others into custody, including Gallon IV, in the area of Northwest Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street during the overnight hours. They said the suspect tried to hide in a home down the street from the scene of the shooting.

“As of right now, we have a total of five people in custody. The first one is the first who was arrested on the scene, our shooter was arrested, plus three other individuals who were harboring him,” said MDPD Director Alfredo Ramirez III. “As I said in [Wednesday’s] press conference, if you’re harboring you will be held to account, and they are in custody as well.”

Just after 7 a.m. on Thursday, Ramirez took to Twitter to express his gratitude toward the law enforcement officers whose “tireless efforts” led to Gallon IV’s arrest. In a separate tweet, Ramirez thanked the community and the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office.

Moore has also been booked into jail. He has been charged with solicitation to commit first-degree murder.

Thursday afternoon, a 7News crew knocked on the door of Gallon III’s home, but no one answered.

Gallon IV has a criminal history, with previous arrests for loitering, marijuana possession, grand theft and forgery.

The other three men who were arrested were later identified as 47-year-old Andre Copeland, 28-year-old Frederick Watkins and 33-year-old Kendrick Watkins. They have been booked and charged with accessory after the fact.

“All I’m concerned about is that that individual is taken to justice, anybody else who harbored him, anyone that was associated, and that my officer is OK,” said Ramirez.

Investigators said the officer was grazed in the back of his head. He was transported to Ryder Trauma Center, where he was treated and released.

The 18-year veteran with MDPD continues to recover at home.

The arrestees in connection with this case began arriving at TGK after 7:45 p.m. By 9 p.m. they were all inside the jail.

Copyright 2024 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox