MIAMI GARDENS, FLA. (WSVN) - In the aftermath of the Dolphins game on Sunday night, police are now actively investigating a post-game shooting that took the life of one person.

The incident occurred around midnight Monday, near a Starbucks on Northwest 27th Avenue, just south of 199th Street, close to the ride-sharing parking lot 42 that takes fans to the Hard Rock Stadium during events. Gunfire erupted, resulting in at least one fatality.

According to Miami Gardens Police, emergency units responded to the scene following reports of a man being shot. After administering chest compressions to the victim, Miami Dade Fire Rescue later pronounced the victim deceased.

Preliminary findings from the ongoing investigation indicate that the victim and his friends were walking through traffic when a verbal altercation ensued with an unidentified subject. The situation escalated as the subject exited their vehicle, firing multiple rounds and striking the victim; the subject fled the scene in an unknown direction.

Witnesses reported seeing two groups of people arguing before hearing at least six shots, prompting people in the area to disperse.

“You hear gunshots and we run,” said Olga. “And there’s seems to be a fight that broke out between a few fans. The men who turned the vehicle got out, pulled out a gun and started shooting at what seemed like the gentlemen he was originally arguing with. At that point, we all took off running.”

Jae Jackson was nearby when the incident broke out and he said he ran over to hold the man’s hand.

“It was like a mass exodus and then as everything calmed down, I looked over and you see him,” he recalled. “I walked over instinctively. I tried to talk to him. I was holding his hand. His girlfriend came over, I told him he was strong. At that moment, he lifted his arm up because it was cold, then maybe like 30 seconds later, his eyes rolled up and that was it. It was sad. You don’t give cowards guns.”

Jackson said the victim is a man between the ages of late 20’s to early 30’s. The victim’s identity has not been disclosed.

By 4 a.m. Monday, a medical examiner removed a body from the parking lot as the police concluded their investigation.

“It’s just terrible honestly,” said an eyewitness, who chose to remain anonymous. “At the end of the day, it’s just a sports game, and I don’t think it should end in violence like this, especially with a life taken.”

Authorities are continuing to gather more information about the circumstances surrounding this post-game incident. The subject remains at large.

If you have any information on this crime, call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS. Remember, you can always remain anonymous, and you may be eligible for a reward of up to $5,000.

Copyright 2024 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox