OAKLAND PARK, FLA. (WSVN) - An ATV driver was taken into custody following a nearly hour-long police chase that began in Miami-Dade and ended in Broward.

7 Skyforce hovered over the scene Monday morning in Miami, where the driver first eluded Miami-Dade Police after being told to stop.

The pursuit continued throughout Miami as the driver weaved in and out of traffic.

“As you see him go on the wrong side of the roadway there. Police officers corralling him,” said 7Skyforce Reporter Ralph Rayburn.

Officers decided to follow the ATV driver from a safe distance to protect other drivers on the busy road.

“They are following now and what we heard them say is ‘We’ll just follow him until he runs out of gas'” said Rayburn.

The driver was then seen heading northbound on Interstate 95.

At one point, 7News cameras captured the driver appearing to check how much gas he had left.

Several police helicopters were also above the scene as they continued their pursuit and three police cruisers were also seen following the driver on the highway.

The Florida Highway Patrol was notified about the incident, as well as the Broward Sheriff’s Office, as the driver made his way towards Broward County.

As the rider continued his trek, at one point he exited I-95 and headed eastbound on Stirling Road.

“He goes through the intersection, now he’s going to be coming westbound underneath us,” said Rayburn.

7Skyforce continued to follow the driver as he returned to I-95.

“He’s gonna have the upper-hand as far as wheeling through and around traffic with that ATV. He’s going off road there. Right, there he goes, on cue. And around those vehicles that are stopped at the intersection,” said Rayburn.

An FHP trooper could also be seen pursuing the rider.

The rider was seen riding through big trucks and driving the wrong way on I-95.

“He’s traveling northbound. All those cars are traveling southbound,” said Rayburn.

The driver is seen driving over express lane poles and crossed through incoming traffic.

He then exited West Sunrise Boulevard in Fort Lauderdale. He drove on the sidewalk until he finally stopped and put his hands in the air.

“Looks like he’s going to give up the ghost here,” said Rayburn.

The driver eventually stopped in Fort Lauderdale and was swiftly taken into custody.

“Officers getting him to stop, now they are gonna knock him to the ground and secure him and make sure he’s not carrying any weapons,” said Rayburn.

7News cameras captured the suspect being handcuffed.

Drivers on their morning commute described the Monday madness they witnessed.

“I was so shocked. I just stood there in silence,” said Shamari Nelson. “Everything happened so fast.”

Nelson said the officers did their job.

“Impressive how policemen did their jobs,” said Nelson.

No injuries were reported.

FHP has identified the suspect as 18-year-old Anthony Angel Perez. He faces multiple charges including resisting an officer, moving traffic violation, and fleeing police.

Copyright 2024 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox