Memorial held for Tequesta couple killed in brutal random attack

FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. (WSVN) - Family and friends said their final farewells Friday, in Fort Lauderdale, to the couple who became victims to a college student who, police said, turned into a killer. Officials have since released restaurant surveillance video of the accused as he left the business minutes before the random attack.

Hundreds of people attended a funeral set for Michelle Mishcon and John Stevens at the Parker Playhouse, Friday afternoon, to pay their respects.

It was an emotional scene for those who loved and cared for the couple. “With the love and energy and friends and strength in this room, we’re gonna make it through,” said Jeff Mishcon, the father of one of those killed.

The couple was killed at their home Monday night. According to the Sheriff’s Office, 19-year-old Austin Harrouff stabbed and beat them to death. Deputies said when they responded to the scene, they found the suspect biting John Stevens’ face.

A neighbor was also injured after he tried to help the couple.

According to investigators, Harrouff left a sports bar in Jupiter after he argued with his father. Surveillance cameras inside the restaurant captured Harrouff as he walked out. They believed he walked to the Stevens’ home and randomly attacked them. A Taser and a police dog had no affect on Harrouff, and according to the sheriff, it took several deputies to take the suspect into custody.

On Friday, Harrouff’s family released a statement that read in part: “The Harrouff family expresses their deepest sympathy for the pain and suffering caused by Austin Harrouff. There are no words we can offer to give any real comfort for this tragic loss.”

Inside the memorial service, family and friends were left to wonder what could have caused such an outburst to turn this teenage college student into a killer. “He was a kind man, he was a loving husband, a dedicated son,” said John Stevens Jr., whose father was killed. “He was an inspiring father and an excited grandfather.”

“I think we’re just all gonna miss them greatly,” said Ivy Stevens, the deceased’s daughter.

Officials said Harrouff is in stable condition and more drug test results are expected to be out later next week.

Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.