MIAMI (WSVN) — For the second year in a row, drivers in Miami-Dade County will be able to save money on MDX tolls through its customer loyalty program.

Officials just approved a Cash Back Dividend of 30% to registered members, amounting to $5.5 million. MDX’s frequent customers on average could expect a check for about $100. The program lowers the customer’s overall daily toll rate from 70 cents to 50 cents on the 836 mainline gantry.

“Of the more than 112,000 SunPass transponders registered in the program, 48% qualify for a rebate, effectively lower tolls rates on average to below 50 cents for those members. The other 52% of the members may have paid tolls on I-95 express lanes, the Turnpike, Rickenbacker and Venetian which are State and County roads, but since they spent less than the $8.50 a month on MDX toll roads, they did not qualify for MDX’s Cash Back program,” said Louis Martinez, Chair of the MDX Board of Directors.

The MDX Board of Directors announced their plans last year to operate as a private corporation and launch a new cash back toll dividend program, giving toll payers the chance to receive a portion of annual revenue spent on tolls.

The program would require customers to register each year, be individuals or a business, be a SunPass customer in good standing, and spend more than $2 weekly or $100 annually in tolls on any of MDX’s five expressways. Members who signed up this year for the MDX Advantage Program will be automatically enrolled.

The Cash Back Program requires SunPass customers to register, on the MDX website at, during open enrollment which begins in January and will end in March.

Tolls paid on Florida’s Turnpike, I-95 Express Lanes or the new Palmetto Express lanes do not qualify since they are not MDX expressways.

If you paid tolls on the MDX expressways and registered for the program in 2015 or between January 11th and March 31st of this year, you can expect checks to be mailed out by December. Over 60,000 families and businesses registered last year.

MDX receives no local, state or federal government tax subsidy.

Copyright 2022 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox