Man killed in possible road rage shooting in Opa-locka; gunman detained

OPA-LOCKA, FLA. (WSVN) - Police are investigating after a man visiting South Florida for work was fatally shot by a driver during a possible road rage incident in Opa-locka.

Miami-Dade Police and Fire Rescue responded to the scene of the shooting at the intersection of Northwest 135th Street and 42nd Avenue, at around 7 a.m., Friday.

Officials said the occupants of a white pickup truck and a black Kia Forte were driving in the area until one of the drivers stopped.

The brother of the 24-year-old victim, who asked not to be identified, said the two of them and a co-worker were inside their work truck and on their way to a roofing job at the time of the incident.

“We tried to make this left-hand turn, dude cut us off,” he said.

According to detectives, both drivers got out, and at some point, the 22-year-old driver of the Kia pulled out a gun.

“He got out of the car and shot my brother in the face. That’s what happened,” said the victim’s brother.

Rescue crews airlifted the victim to Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center, where he was pronounced dead.

7News cameras captured an Opa-locka Police officer as he hugged the victim’s brother, who broke down in tears.

Co-workers later showed up at the scene. One of them told 7News he had gotten a call about the killer confrontation.

“[He said], ‘My brother got shot in the face,'” said the employee.

The shooter called 911 and stayed at the scene, where he was detained and questioned.

The busy intersection was shut down for hours while investigators tried to piece what happened before the shooting.

“Very scary, because it’s very early in the morning,” said commuter Camille Reece.

The victim’s brother described his sibling as a great person.

“My brother was a just awesome dude,” he said. “All he wanted to do was buy his wife a freaking car, and he loves fishing. Great dude, man, great dude.”

Police said charges, if any, are still pending while they continue to investigate.

“We’re all going to get there eventually. We have our days where we just want to get off the road, but there’s no need for that,” said Reece.

As of Friday night, the driver of the Kia remained in police custody. He has not been arrested.

Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.