Man hurt in shooting that led to cross-county chase recovering; 2 charged

HOLLYWOOD, FLA. (WSVN) - A South Florida man is recovering in the hospital one day after, officials said, he and another man were shot in Hallandale Beach, an incident that led to a cross-county police chase and the arrests of two men.

Police said 23-year old Andrew Jackson was one of the two men shot in the area of Pembroke Road and Northwest 10th Street, Tuesday, at around 11:30 a.m. According to his mother, Danielle Coles, was shot in the neck while riding his bicycle.

Both victims were transported to Memorial Regional Hospital in Hollywood, where Jackson is listed in stable condition and the other victim in critical condition. “I thank God up above. I thank God because it could have been worse, you know?” said Coles.

Meanwhile, three subjects fled the scene in a red, four-door Pontiac sedan and led police on a chase southbound on Interstate 95. Just north of the Dolphin Expressway, when the driver stopped the vehicle in the middle of the highway, one of the suspects hopped out of the passenger’s side of the car and ran.

Two Miami-Dade Police officers chased the suspect on foot until he jumped over a fence along the highway and injured himself. The suspect was then subdued with a Taser by police and taken into custody.

As this occurred, a second suspect exited from the back seat of the car, dropped to the ground onto his knees and crawled toward the officers. Cellphone video sent in by a 7News viewer captured the dramatic moment.

A third suspect who was seated in the driver’s seat, slowly exited the vehicle and surrendered to police.

Two of the passengers, identified as 22-year-old Michael Trimble and 21-year-old Terrance Brown, are facing two counts of attempted murder. The third subject, who was driving the getaway car, will not be facing any charges because, police said, there isn’t sufficient evidence at this time.

Police said they discovered one gun inside the car and another near the fence where the suspect jumped.

Jackson’s mother said her son, who is the father of a 2-year-old girl, remains in the intensive care unit but doctors told her he is expected to be OK. She said she is still trying to make sense of this shooting. “I’m just trying to figure out why. That’s the only question I want to know: Why?” said Coles. “What did he do to you so bad that you had to shoot him and try to kill him?”

Coles said this is not her first encounter with gun violence. Her grandson, Joewuan Coles, was fatally shot in Miami in May 2015.

After that shooting, Coles moved her family from Liberty City to try to keep her loved ones out of harm’s way. “I moved my family in Broward, so I can have a better life for them,” she said. “I don’t have to worry about nobody shooting at my kids, but unfortunately, they come find you wherever you are.”

Coles said she’s relieved the men responsible for her son’s injuries are behind bars. “Now you’re trying to make a name for yourself? You can’t make a name for yourself. Now you’re gonna get a number ’cause you’re going to jail,” she said.

The investigation into the shooting remains ongoing.

Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.