(WSVN) - The 20th anniversary of 9/11 is on Saturday and several events are being held across South Florida to honor the victims and remember the heroes of the tragic event.
- Coral Gables: On Saturday, Sept. 11, at 8:00 AM, the Coral Gables Fire and Police Department Honor Guard will present the colors, conduct a bell toll and perform taps to honor those who were impacted by the events that took place 20 years ago. The event will be held at Fire Station 1, located at 2151 Salzedo St.
- North Miami: The city will hold a memorial ceremony to remember the heroes of 9/11 on the 20th anniversary. The event will start at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 11, at Griffing Park located at Northeast 123rd Street and West Dixie Highway.
- Hialeah: The Hialeah Fire Department is holding a 20 year remembrance ceremony for our fallen brothers and sisters who made the ultimate sacrifice on Sept. 11, 2001. The event will be held on Saturday, Sept. 11, at 10 a.m. at Hialeah Station 1, 93 East 5 St.
- Hialeah: On Friday, the Immaculate Conception School, located at 125 West 45th St., will hold an outdoor prayer service. To honor their service, parents who are first responders are invited to attend.
- Doral: Mayor Juan Carlos Bermudez, City Council and the Doral Police Department invite the community to join them at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 11th for a commemoration ceremony for the 20th anniversary. The ceremony at Downtown Doral Park, 8395 NW 53rd St, will honor and remember all the innocent lives lost on September 11, 2001 and include a special wreath-laying and moment of reflection.
- Miami Springs: In remembrance of the lives lost on Sept. 11th, 2001, the City of Miami Springs will be hosting a 20th Anniversary 9/11 Memorial Ceremony at 8 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 11th, 2021. The ceremony will take place on Park St. in front of both our Police and Fire Stations.
- Miami Lakes: In honor of Sept. 11, the town of Miami Lakes will plant 2,977 flags at Picnic Park West lawn on Saturday, Sept. 11, to symbolize each person who died in the terrorist attack. The ceremony, led by Veterans Committee Chairperson Lt. Colonel Michael Coote, will begin at 8:30 a.m. Guests can also volunteer to mulch trees dedicated to veterans at Picnic Park West, on Saturday, Sept. 11 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., 15151 NW 82nd Ave. For more information, contact Austin at 305-819-7768.
- Miami Beach: First responders from the City of Miami Beach Fire and Police Departments will hold a joint observance on Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021 to honor the memory of the 2,977 victims who died during the 9/11 terror attacks 20 years ago. The ceremony will begin at 8:30 a.m. outside Fire Station 2, 2300 Pine Tree Drive. A moment of silence will be observed at 8:46 a.m. as first responders lower the American flag to half-staff.
- Homestead: The Veterans of Foreign Wars will hold their annual Freedom Walk in remembrance for the 20th anniversary of the tragic events on 9/11/01. The event will begin with a short Field of Honor Dedication and Reflection program. The walk starts at 10 a.m. at 601 NE 2nd Road in Homestead.
- Southwest Miami-Dade: Miami-Dade Police, Miami-Dade Fire Rescue and the U.S. Southern Command will hold a remembrance for all of those who lost their lives during the terrorist attacks of 9/11. The event will take place at 9:30 a.m. at Tropical Park, located at 7900 SW 40th Street.
- Tamarac: The city will host a “Honk for a Hero” drive-thru tribute at City Hall, 7525 NW 88th Avenue, on Saturday, Sept. 11, at 10:30 a.m. The entire community is invited to this free drive-thru event to honk their vehicle horns in gratitude for the first responders who serve Tamarac. Fire engines and police service vehicles will be showcased for the whole family to enjoy from the safety of their cars.
- Deerfield Beach: The City of Deerfield Beach invites you to join the Broward Sheriff’s Office Deerfield Beach District for the 20th anniversary 9/11 Memorial Ceremony Saturday, September 11, 2021, at Pioneer Park (217 NE 5th Ave), directly across the street from Broward Sheriff’s Office Deerfield Beach Station (300 NE 2nd Street) as we honor all those who lost their lives on that tragic day. Prayer/moment of silence will begin promptly at 8:30 AM. The ceremony will conclude at 10:28 AM. Fire Rescue and Law Enforcement vehicles will also be on display.
- Fort Lauderdale: The Veterans Trust, in partnership with The Human Baton, will host a Tribute to America’s Heroes event at at Las Olas Oceanside Park, 3000 E Las Olas Blvd., on Saturday, Sept. 11 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. To register for the free event, click here.
- Fort Lauderdale: The 2021 Tunnel To Towers 5k Run & Walk will be held on Saturday, Sept. 11. The event starts at 6:30 a.m. at Huizenga Plaza, located at 32 E. Las Olas Blvd. The Tunnel to Towers Foundation supports our nation’s fallen and catastrophically injured first responders, military heroes and their families.
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport: Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) and the Broward County Aviation Department will hold a 20th Anniversary Commemoration of 9/11. The ceremony will be held at Terminal 1 Lower Level at Baggage Claim at 8:30 a.m.
- Davie: Nova Southeastern University will host a memorial ceremony to pay tribute to 9/11 victims, first responders and families at 9 a.m. on Sept. 11. Guests can take pictures with the police, fire, military and veteran vehicles and motorcycles on display or visit the nonprofit organizations that aid veterans and law enforcement. The event will take place on the Davie Campus, 3301 College Ave., and visitors are encouraged to bring chairs, blankets and water.
- Margate: The city of Margate will host its annual tribute at 9 a.m. on Sept. 11 at Firefighters Park, 2500 Rock Island Road, with special remarks from Fire Chief Roberto Lorenzo, EMS Division Chief Luis Villar, FDNY retirees, along with other officials. There will be a presentation of colors, a firefighter’s prayer and the station bell 5-5-5, rung five times in three intervals in honor of those who died on 9/11.
- Coral Springs: The City of Coral Springs will remember the 20th anniversary of the Sept. 11th terrorist attacks on our nation with a ceremony in front of the 9/11 monument located at the Northwest Regional Library, 3151 North University Drive. Residents are invited to attend to honor the victims and heroes at 3 p.m. on Saturday.
- Miramar: On Saturday, Sept. 11, Mayor Wayne Messam will host a memorial site dedication at Miramar Regional Park, 16801 Miramar Parkway, the “Future home of the Miramar 9/11 memorial.” The event begins at 9 a.m.
- Pompano Beach: The city in collaboration with Pompano Beach Fire Rescue, the Broward Sheriff’s Office and the Pompano Beach Historical Society invite you to “9/11: A Day for Honoring Our Heroes”. The virtual event will be held on Saturday, Sept. 11th at 9 a.m. remembrance event will be accessible to view on the City’s Youtube Channel, website, Facebook page, and Channel 78. For more information call 954-786-4111 or visit https://parks.pompanobeachfl.gov.
- Sunrise: A ceremony will kick off on Saturday, Sept. 11, featuring music, a memorial display and the presentation of colors. Guests can also listen to speakers such as Sunrise Fire Rescue Chief John McNamara and Sunrise Police Chief Anthony Rosa. The event will begin at 8:30 a.m. outside the Sunrise Civic Center Theatre, 10610 W. Oakland Park Blvd. For more information, contact the city of Sunrise leisure services number at 954-747-4600.
- Pembroke Pines: To commemorate 9/11, Pembroke Pines Police and Fire Department Honor Guards will have a presentation of colors along with guest speakers, community leaders and music from school bands and musicians at Memorial Park, 10601 SW City Center Blvd., on Saturday, Sept. 11. Guests can also tour the statues along the park and meet the artists. The event runs from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and will be livestreamed on the Pembroke Pines Facebook page.
This list will be updated as more information comes in.
Copyright 2021 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.