DORAL, FLA. (WSVN) - A dog that almost died after being severely burned could be homeward bound, just over a week after he was found.
Sam, a Labrador retriever mix, has endured a lot of pain, but now he’s on the road to recovery and ready to find a permanent home. “He has certain cares and certain things he needs to still have, but he is ready for a home,” said veterinarian Maria Serrano.
The 2-year-old dog was treated at Miami-Dade Animal Services’ Pet Adoption and Protection Center in Doral for severe burns to his back. “His wounds probably happened a few weeks ago because he’s almost healed,” said Serrano.
A good Samaritan discovered the injured canine near Southwest 164th Street and 149th Avenue, in Southwest Miami-Dade, June 28.
Vets think the burns down Sam’s back are the result of someone applying some sort of chemical agent. “In certain cultures, it is thought that if you apply gasoline or a motor oil to a dog, it will get rid of ticks and fleas,” said Serrano.
But vets say this is a myth rather than being effective. “It burns the skin of the dog, and it causes the damages that he has gone through,” said Serrano.
Animal services officials said this treatment method does not get rid of the ticks or fleas, and they called it animal abuse.
Fortunately, Sam is healed enough now to hopefully go to a new home filled with a whole lot of tender love and care. “Now he just needs a home and somebody that will give him all the love that he has not had so far,” said Serrano.
The vet, though, indicated, that Sam is a sensitive dog that has not had the chance to be social. “He needs a family that is willing to give him a little bit of space, but he’s a great dog,” said Serrano.
Animal services officials said they want to speak with Sam’s former owners.
For more information on how you can adopt Sam, go to www.miamidade.gov/animals.
Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.