(WSVN) - With Hurricane Irma quickly approaching Florida, residents are preparing to get their families ready — and that includes their pets.
Items to gather for pets:
- Two weeks worth of food and water
- One month supply of medications
- Cleaning supplies (including cat litter)
- First Aid supplies
- Toys and blankets
- Things your pet uses daily
- Pet records and proper identification (in case your pet gets lost)
Pets allowed in shelters:
- Guinea pigs
- Small rabbits
- North Miami Beach Senior High at 1247 NE 167 St.
- South Miami Senior at 6856 SW 53 St.
- Felix Varela Senior at 15255 SW 96 St.
- Miami-Dade County Fair and Exhibition at 10901 Coral Way.
Service animals are allowed in general population shelters as long as the pet meets federal law requirements.
Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.