Police: Large fire begins in RV, spreads to home

DAVIE, FLA. (WSVN) - A large RV went up in flames in Davie, Monday morning, in a fire that spread to a nearby home.

7SkyForce HD was over the scene, just west of the Davie Road Extension and north of Stirling Road, where the house and RV caught on fire.

According to Davie Police and Fire Rescue, the fire began in an RV and later spread to the house, which is located on a private roadway off Davie Road.

A woman who was inside of the home that later caught on fire said she first saw the burning RV next to her residence. Then, suddenly, her home became affected by the flames.

The emergency call went out to first responders at around 8 a.m.

The woman was treated for smoke inhalation and released on the scene.

The fire also caused ammunition, propane tanks and other hazardous materials to explode inside the home’s garage, which was destroyed.

According to firefighters, the home was 2,000 feet away from the water supply, making it difficult for them to put out the flames.

However, after roughly 45 minutes, crews were able to extinguish the flames.

The RV and garage were deemed a total loss.

Because of the hazardous materials in the garage and the size of the fire, environmental protection workers were called in to assess what, if any, impact there has been on that front.

Authorities shut down southbound traffic on Davie Road Extension near Southwest 57th Avenue for hours, but the roadway has since been reopened.

Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.