PARKLAND, FLA. (WSVN) - Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students said they were left on edge after fire alarms went off, causing them to relive the Feb. 14 tragedy.
It’s been more than six months since the Valentine’s Day massacre, and traumatized students were left to relive that nightmare after fire alarms went off, Wednesday.
Students told 7News they felt someone was intentionally setting off the newly installed fire alarm. They said the alarms have been going off since the new school year began.
“It was kind of like a hectic feeling ’cause everybody’s crying, everybody’s wondering what’s happening,” said student Alexa Gonzalez. “It’s kind of like reliving what happened on February 14th.”
Some said the alarm is the same terrifying sound many heard the day a gunman walked onto campus and fatally shot 17 people.
“I was taking a test when I heard the first one, so we all kind of stopped,” said another MSD student. “My heart did drop for a second because I was scared.”
Broward County Public Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie released a statement on Twitter.
Parents are concerned after their kids were reminded of the horrifying day.
“He woke up from a nightmare. It just triggered feelings he didn’t even realize he had,” said parent Lori Pirtle. “We’re all concerned. This just brings up more and more issues for these kids when they really should have been addressed over the summer.”
Pirtle hopes the children can once again move on.
“It’s very difficult because no one teaches you how to parent through something like this,” she said. “You just try to be supportive and you just try to bond together with other parents whose kids have gone through the same thing.”
Other upset students tweeted about the ordeal, Wednesday.
According to the Broward Sheriff’s Office, the school’s fire alarms went off because of a faulty wire in one of the pull stations.
The school system gave some insight into what they said happened with each alarm incident, including some that were planned:
- One code red drill and two fire drills, which are required by state law
- One incident in which the fire alarms were activated in a teachers planning area
- Several incidents of the school’s fire alarm being pulled was by a student
- The school’s fire alarm sounded due to a faulty wire in one of the pull stations
Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.