DAVIE, FLA. (WSVN) - A family has been displaced after a fire destroyed their Davie home.
The fire broke out on Meadhaven Street, at around 8:30 p.m., Sunday.
Cellphone video from a neighbor captured high flames billowing from the home.
The roof of the home was completely engulfed by flames.
The family said they are grateful no one was injured, including a family pet — a bearded dragon.
“I’m still stunned that he’s even sitting here right now,” said Warren Crandall. “I’m just glad that he’s here, he’s alive.”
Crandall said he and his family were using the fireplace when the smell of smoke hit him.
“I smelled it. It was everywhere inside,” he said. “The second story was full of smoke, everywhere.”
Smoke and flames from the house could be seen several streets over.
“She could see that they had hooked a ladder truck,” said Tom Jerome, who lives nearby.
“You could see the flames from the first floor, too,” said Kathy Jerome.
“The fire was at least as high as the house,” Crandall said. “It was crazy, man. I’m serious. We were standing here watching our house burn down. That’s something you can’t really imagine, you know?”
Firefighters spent three hours dousing the house to put the fire out.
While all family members were outside the house, Crandall said his bearded dragon was still inside.
“We were worried, you know?” he said. “At that point, there was nothing I could do. The house was still on fire. We had to leave, and I come back here the next day, we walk inside, I go upstairs, and he’s sitting right there on the bed.”
His name is Kaiju, which translates to Godzilla, and amazingly he survived.
Although everything inside the house is rubble.
The family said they’re complete with Kaiju by their side as they pick up the pieces of their home.
“I thank God, that’s the one thing,” Crandall said. “I’m so happy that everybody’s all right.”
The family will be staying with other family members and thank their neighbors for their offers to help.
Copyright 2022 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.