Family displaced after electrical fire breaks out in SW Miami-Dade home

SOUTHWEST MIAMI-DADE, FLA. (WSVN) - A family has been displaced after an electrical fire broke out in their home.

The family’s home was affected by a power outage in the area of Southwest 122nd Avenue and 46th Street as heavy storms hit South Florida on Monday night.

Just a few minutes after the power was restored overnight a family member smelled smoke.

When she went to investigate where the smell was coming from she found their garage engulfed in flames.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue responded to the scene at around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday and battled the fire.

“When they turned the lights back on is whenever supposedly my mom smelled the smoke, and she went and started waking up everybody. At that point, we came outside and the flames were rolling out of the garage and stuff, and me and my dad were just hosing it down and making sure everyone and the dogs got out safely,” said victim Pedro Fernandez.

The family has been displaced due to smoke damage.

“Our investigator on scene did determine it was some kind of electrical failure,” said Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Kristen Miller.

The damages will not be covered by insurance due to the family dropping their homeowners policy a few years ago once the house was paid off.

Fernandez, a former firefighter, reflected on being on the receiving end of the blaze.

“I’m a little in shock to be on the other side of the spectrum, to be the one that’s affected by it,” Fernandez said. “I’ve done it for a couple years now, and I never realized the emotional aspect of it.”

Rescue officials recommend homeowners remove plugs from outlets and turn off lights if the power goes out to avoid electrical fires.

Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.