Explosion in Pompano Beach restaurant sends 1 to hospital

POMPANO BEACH, FLA. (WSVN) - A restaurant employee had to be transported to the hospital after an explosion in Pompano Beach.

Pompano Beach Fire Rescue responded to the Sabor Tropical restaurant located near Northeast 24th Street and Fifth Avenue, Wednesday.

According to officials, the employee was trying to light a gas stove, but the gas was flowing and accidentally sparked the explosion.

The impact blew out the windows in the restaurant.

“We heard a popping noise. It was fairly loud,” said one witness.

The 43-year-old employee suffered injuries to her face and lower body, but they were not life-threatening.

She was taken to Broward Health North to be checked out and is expected to be OK.

Customers rushed from nearby businesses to check out the scene.

“They were very lucky to walk away with just minor stuff,” said Michael Flammia who works nearby. “Good for them. Unfortunately, now the store of course is closed, and they have a lot of reconstruction to do, and they need to do an investigation to find out exactly what went wrong.”

The restaurant has been closed after officials deemed it unsafe. It is unclear when it will reopen.

The incident is now under investigation.

Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.