PEMBROKE PINES, FLA. (WSVN) - A Ring doorbell camera captured the moment a man in Pembroke Pines was bitten by a snake.

Zamar Miller, 19, could be seen stepping outside of his home in the area of Southwest 146th Terrace and 10th Street, on the Fourth of July, before he backed up quickly and headed back into his front porch.

“I didn’t see the snake at first. As I walk out the door and open the door, I stepped on it, and then it came around and bit me in the leg,” Miller said. “That’s when I went back inside, and I started screaming for my mom’s name, and she called 911. I tried to remain calm at first, but life was hitting me at the same time.”

Officials said this was the moment he was bitten by a venomous cottonmouth.

“He was just walking from his apartment when he bumped into a snake,” said Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Venom One Unit Lt. Chris Pecori. “He looked down and found he had just been bitten by a venomous water moccasin.”

Police and fire rescue crews responded to the scene and transported the 19-year-old to the hospital.

“I was feeling hot,” Miller said. “I was sweating. I was really scared for my life at that point. I didn’t know what was next. I didn’t know what the possibility of me living or even my leg being amputated. I didn’t know what was gonna happen.”

He was administered antivenom and is said to be doing OK.

“He went to a local hospital where Venom One was contacted, and in a timely fashion, delivered antivenom to the facility and assisted in the treatment,” Pecori said.

Pictures show the bite marks left behind on his foot.

“These were two bites where it bit me,” Miller said while showing 7News cameras. “It got swollen, and they wanted to see if the pain level was rising, so every 30 minutes, they would make lines to see if it was rising to give me the antivenom. It helped out a lot, and I appreciate what they did for me.”

Responding officers were able to capture the snake and release it into an isolated wetland area.

Authorities warn residents in South Florida to be cautious during snake bite season, which runs from April through October.

Officials advise those walking in or around tall grass to keep their hands and feet out of areas that cannot be seen clearly.

“Just realize when you’re out hiking or walking at night, just be cautious in high grass or in areas where it’s not very well lit,” said Pecori. “The other thing is to try and wear a closed-toe shoe also to protect yourself.”

When moving objects outdoors, residents should check that no snakes are hiding in or around the item.

“They are nocturnal hunters, out searching for mice and rats. Usually, when someone gets bitten it’s in a defensive posture, [they’re] just trying to protect themselves when someone encroaches upon their area,” said Pecori.

Police ask parents to educate their children about the dangers snakes can pose.

Snakes should be left alone, officials said, unless it is a danger to those in the area.

“You know they’re around, so it’s like I just gotta make sure next time,” Miller said.

If bitten by a snake, residents are advised to call 911 immediately.

“If you can, get yourself either sitting or laying with your injured part approximately leveled with your heart,” said Pecori. “You don’t want to apply any tourniquet, any tight bandages, any ice, or try and suck the venom out. The definitive treatment is going to be antivenom.”

If possible, take a picture of the snake or try to memorize how it looks so paramedics can identify the species and administer the correct antivenom.

“If you are bitten, you want to get away from the animal as soon as possible. Don’t try and capture it, it’s already bitten someone,” said Pecori.

Copyright 2024 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox