Dozens displaced after Coral Springs apartment building catches fire

CORAL SPRINGS, FLA. (WSVN) - Fire crews battled a Coral Springs apartment building fire that left dozens displaced, Monday afternoon.

Twenty-four units were damaged by the fire at the Ramblewood East Condominium at 4180 NW 88th Ave., just before 1 p.m.

Coral Springs Police and Fire Rescue remained on the scene throughout the day.

Fire Rescue managed to extinguish the heavy flames.

“When our units arrived, there was heavy fire coming from the back patio from a second floor unit,” said Coral Springs Fire Chief Mike Moser. “That fire had already progressed out to the patio and was already in at least one or two rooms inside of the unit.”

It went up into the attic and spread to the adjacent units.

Flames could be seen shooting through the patio of one of the apartments in the complex.

“When I stepped out, I saw the whole patio engulfed in flames,” said resident Maria Smith. “It was quickly running from one section of the building to the other. It was very frightening.”

According to officials, the fire began in a corner unit. The fire then moved into the apartment and engulfed two bedrooms, they said. That’s when the fire rose to the common attic area before spreading to other units.

“Our firefighters made an attack from the inside of the unit to attempt to push the fire out,” Moser said.

Resident Sheila Mardy said she was sleeping inside at the time of the fire and only woke up when a friend called her.

“I run outside, and the whole hallway is covered in smoke, so I run back inside, throw on some pants, grab my wallet, grab my keys and I left,” she said. “What was I supposed to do? As soon as I walked outside, I saw the whole next door apartment covered in red, like straight fire.”

Mardy called her mother to tell her the bad news. “She said, ‘Mommy, the house is on fire.’ I’m like, ‘What do you mean the house is on fire?'” said Margaret Moisette. “She said, ‘Yeah, Mommy. The house is gone, everything gone.'”

The terrifying part of it for Mardy is knowing that she could have slept though the fire. “I’ve never been in a fire before,” Mardy said. “It was scary.”

Hours after the fire, some residents were escorted back inside to retrieve a few essentials like medicine.

“Only water there, water everywhere, the bed, everywhere,” said Terlien Florvilus, who retrieved his medication. “Everything’s gone in the house now.”

No injuries have been reported. However, two cats that were inside did not make it out.

“Thank God my daughter is OK, but everything inside the apartment is gone,” Moisette said.

As officials remained at the scene Monday evening, those who lived in the apartment complex made arrangements to stay with family or friends.

The Red Cross is assisting those displaced. They have set up a temporary shelter in the community’s clubhouse.

Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.