Coast Guard suspends search for Cuban migrants whose boat capsized off Keys

BIG PINE KEY, Fla. (WSVN) – The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended their search for the nearly two dozen Cuban migrants who were on a boat that capsized off the Florida Keys, near Big Pine Key, last week.

Tuesday night, the U.S. Coast Guard officially suspended their search for the migrants, who had been reported missing, Monday.

“Our deepest condolences go out to the families of those who lost their lives in this tragic case,” said Capt. Mark Gordon, chief of enforcement for the Coast Guard 7th District. “It is an unfortunate reminder that the sea can be unforgiving for those who are ill prepared on illegal and unsafe voyages.”

According to officials, three migrants, who they believe were on this capsized vessel, were found safe on a smaller island. These three men said they had left Cuba when then their boat capsized near the Keys, nearly a week ago.

On Tuesday, bodies of three people were found near Islamorada. However, authorities are not sure if these bodies belong to the missing migrants.

The Coast Guard had searched more than 9,306 square miles since Saturday.

Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.