OAKLAND PARK, FLA. (WSVN) - Deputies responded to a call at a house in Oakland Park, after a mother discovered her 2-year-old daughter with a window-blind cord wrapped around her neck.
The incident occurred around 12:30 p.m., Wednesday, at 4501 N.E. 15th Way. The little girl was rushed to Holy Cross Hospital where she passed away, according to deputies.
A neighbor recalled the situation as officials arrived on scene. “Six Sheriff’s cars pulled up, and they were running as fast as they could to the front door,” said neighbor Mike Matheson.
Family members were told the terrible news at the scene. The medical examiner will determine the official cause of death.
Mother Angela Hager lives in the area and said she takes precautions. “I mean, I have 10- and 11-year-olds, and it takes five seconds for them to get into stuff like this,” she said, “so a 2-year-old … it’s just very, very heartbreaking.”
In this case, deputies said there isn’t anything suspicious, and that it’s just a tragic accident.
“Every hair in your body stands just knowing that it could happen to you,” Hager said. “It takes two seconds.”
The Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that a child dies, on average, about once a month from window cord strangulation. They have advice for parents with small children on their website. Some of that advice includes the following:
Copyright 2020 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.