COOPER CITY, FLA. (WSVN) - Several children at a Cooper City school were taken to the hospital after they became sick after ingesting an unknown substance that, fire officials said, looked like candy.
Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue crews responded to the Renaissance Charter School at Cooper City along the 2800 block of North Palm Avenue, Friday afternoon.
Paramedics transported nine children — seven boys and two girls — to Memorial Hospital West with symptoms that were not life-threatening.
“Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue received a call for a total of nine adolescents, which were stricken ill from an unknown ingestion of a substance,” Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue Chief Michael Kane said. “Seven boys and two girls were affected. When fire rescue responded out to the scene, they transported all nine to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Their parents have been contacted at this point. They’ve all been transported to Memorial West Hospital.”
The children are all expected to be OK.
“While the substance that was ingested is unknown, what I can tell you is that the substance was packaged in a candy container,” Kane said. “The illness is very minor. There’s a good chance the children will be released soon.”
7 Skyforce HD hovered over the school. Parents who were picking up their children did not know about the incident.
“Oh, really? I didn’t know nothing about it,” one parent said.
The Broward Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident.
Copyright 2020 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.