HALLANDALE BEACH, FLA. (WSVN) - A police-involved shooting inside of a liquor store in Hallandale Beach left a man dead, investigators said, bringing to an end a violent and disruptive chain of events that also sent an officer to the hospital.

Newly surfaced cellphone video captured the moments leading up to the moment a Hallandale Beach Police officer opened fire at Goldstar Liquors, located in a shopping plaza along East Hallandale Beach Boulevard, Saturday evening.

According to investigators, it all started less than two blocks away, when the subject, who was armed with a knife, was causing some type of disturbance at Argo Restaurant along the 2300 block of Hallandale Beach Boulevard, at around 6:20 p.m.

Witness Vlad Gold said he was celebrating Mother’s Day with his family when he saw the man, took out his cellphone and began recording him.

“He was under the influence of something,” said Gold “and he was kind of dancing, but I wouldn’t say dancing. He was kind of like a zombie. Next thing you see, this particular person throw his hands up at the officer. At that point, I pull out my phone and start recording.”

Gold said a responding officer tried to deescalate the situation but eventually had to deploy a Taser in an attempt to subdue him.

An anonymous witness also shared cellphone video with 7News. It shows the man throwing punches at the officer after he was shocked with the Taser.

“After he Tased the suspect, the suspect just stood there, ripped out his wires, and he looked like he wanted to do something to the officer,” said Gold. “The officer disengaged, backed up, and the suspect ran, ran right past our table, right next to my sister.”

Police said the man ran into Goldstar Liquors, and at some point, an altercation ensued between him and the officer, which led to one gunshot being fired.

“At which time, [the subject] was able to injure the officer in his face and officers fired shots,” said Hallandale Beach Police Capt. Megan Jones.

After another officer responded to the liquor store, detectives said, an unknown amount of shots were fired inside the business.

The knife-wielding subject was declared dead at the scene. Police described him as a 25-year-old man.

Gold, who said he was afraid for the lives of his loved ones, believes the officers did the right thing.

“The officer did everything that he could in his power without using any kind of force,” he said. “I was concerned for the people that were in the restaurant. I was concerned for my family. I think if the suspect would have done what he [the officer] said, it’s not worth our life.”

It remains unclear whether only one or both officers discharged their weapons.

Cellphone video captured the injured officer as he was led to a cruiser by another officer. He was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment of cuts to his face.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating the shooting.

The officer who shot and killed the 25-year-old suspect will be on leave until the end of the investigation.

Sunday evening, police confirmed the injured officer was released from the hospital and is recovering at home.

Both officers were wearing body cameras, and they were rolling during the incident.

As of Monday, police have not disclosed the names of the subject or the officers involved.

Copyright 2023 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox