MARGATE, FLA. (WSVN) - A hazmat situation unfolded in Margate as a family of nine suffered carbon monoxide poisoning inside a home, fire officials said.

Margate Fire Rescue units arrived at the residence, located along Southwest Fifth Court, near 49th Terrace, and took five adults and four children to the hospital, Thursday morning.

Fire officials said it did not take them long to figure out what was happening.

“When crews arrived, they found a generator being used inside the house,” said Margate Fire Rescue spokesperson David Scholl.

Officials said firefighters ventilated the home and evacuated the residents.

Investigators said the house was out of power when the family decided to use the generator.

Scholl added that a family member called 911 at around 2 a.m., when a man inside the home was found unresponsive.

7News captured video footage of the patients, showcasing the arrival of the affected individuals at the hospital.

Officials said the nine patients were transported to various hospitals in the area.

Some of the children were seen being wheeled inside ambulances wearing gas masks. Fortunately, their injuries were not deemed serious.

“I cannot stress enough not to use a portable generator inside the home,” said Scholl. “They all were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. Luckily they’re all in stable condition.”

Around 8 a.m., Crime Scene Investigation units arrived as they were seen taking photos of evidence inside and outside of the home.

“I’ll be out here with Margate Building Department to go over any electrical issues or also any assistance that they need from us,” said Scholl.

The building department and fire marshal worked to make sure there are no other electrical issues.

Thursday afternoon, 7News cameras captured an “unsafe building” sign attached to the front door of the home, meaning the family cannot come back to live at the home for the time being. Some windows at the house remained open.

Fire officials left the community with a strong message.

“Everyone should have a working carbon monoxide detector in their home, especially if they have an attached garage or a gas appliance,” said Scholl.

In addition, officials said, any generators being kept outside of the home should be at least 20 feet way from the residence.

A family member told 7News that they are still in the hospital.

Copyright 2024 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox