Authorities investigate fire that destroyed NW Miami-Dade home

NORTHWEST MIAMI-DADE, FLA. (WSVN) - An investigation is underway after a home in Northwest Miami-Dade was destroyed by a fire, early Monday morning.

Just before noon on Monday, only two walls were left standing of a structure that was once a home, and part of it could still be seen burning.

According to Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Investigator Lt. Doug Keller, fire investigators knew what caused the house fire before crews even cleared the scene.

“Somebody yesterday attached that little Rumex to the main line coming in, so that they could have electricity to have a plug.”

Keller said the house could not handle the poor connection, which sparked the fire, just before 5 a.m.

The blaze broke out at the house along Northwest 82nd Street and Second Court.

According to officials, around 4:45 a.m., a call came in regarding a single family home fully engulfed by flames with a person trapped inside. However, upon their arrival, firefighters said, witnesses told them the man was able to get out.

“Search of the home revealed there was no one else trapped,” said Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Danny Cardeso, “at which point we made it a defensive operation.”

Fire rescue was on the scene for several hours working to put out hot spots. Officials said they were only able to attack the fire from the outside because the house was in danger of collapsing. “We weren’t able to go inside,” said Cardeso. “We’re taking positions on the outside and attacking from the outside, just keeping it from getting any worse.”

Reed, a man who lives right behind the burning home, was woken up by the flames. He said he immediately ran out and all he could grab were his shoes. “I sleep and I see the flame. I just jump up and run out,” he said. “I crawled out of there, but I forgot my key.”

He said he was thankful that his house was sound.

Officials have since put of the blazing fire. “It was definitely an intense fire,” said Cardeso. “This older construction with a lot of wood components has a tendency to burn very intensely once it gets going.”

A small pocket of fire sparked back up at around 11:45 a.m., Monday. However, traffic was flowing again on Northwest 82nd Street after being shut down for most of the morning, Monday.

Keller said he hopes this story serves as a reminder for homeowners to consult with a professional when dealing with electrical work.

Copyright 2018 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.