2 teens dead, 1 hospitalized after car hits tree in Homestead

HOMESTEAD, FLA. (WSVN) - Two teenagers were killed and another is fighting for his life at Jackson Memorial Hospital after a Mini Cooper crashed into a tree in Homestead, Monday.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue responded to the scene of the accident on the southbound lanes of Southwest 137th Avenue, near Campbell Drive, late Monday afternoon. Miami-Dade PD confirmed two people passed away on the scene and a third victim was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital in critical condition.

Early Tuesday morning, Homestead Police confirmed the crash killed 17-year-old Isaiah West and 18-year-old Samir Barrera.

The injured passenger who survived the crash, 18-year-old Isaac Lipscomb, went into surgery for a back injury at Ryder Trauma Center, Tuesday morning, according to his mother.

The three victims were all student athletes at Keys Gate Charter School. Their devastated families said they were going fishing when the crash happened.

“They were going fishing together,” Isaac’s sister, Savannah Lipscomb, said. “And then it happened. As soon as we got a phone call, we went to the accident scene.”

“That is my baby. That is the youngest one in the family,” said Lipscomb’s mother Jill Zachary.

“Honestly, I feel like if he was in the front seat, he wouldn’t have made it,” said Isaac’s sister, “so thank God he was in that back seat.”

Police said they received the 911 call at 4:45 p.m. Only one car was involved. Police blocked off traffic onto the southbound lanes of 137th Avenue at 296th Street while the scene was cleared.

“They discovered several persons had been ejected,” said Homestead Police Detective Fernando Morales. “At this point, I can confirm there are two deceased and one that was airlifted from this area in critical condition.”

According to a friend, Barrera had been asking his parents for a car for a long time, but they were overprotective. However, his parents finally gave in and gave Barrera the Mini Cooper as a gift only two weeks ago.

“I can’t imagine going through that,” Lipscomb’s sister Savannah said.

“Words can’t describe,” said his mother. “No mother should have to go through that. They are still in high school. They haven’t even lived life yet. No mother should have to.”

Friends, teammates and coaches prayed outside Ryder Trauma Center, Monday night, for Lipscomb’s recovery and to mourn the loss of their two classmates.

As the gathering went on through the night, friends and classmates were relieved when they were surprised by a Facebook Live stream of Lipscomb himself in his hospital bed addressing his friends and family. The Facebook Live was recorded on a friend’s Facebook.

“I’m good, though, man,” Lipscomb mumbled in the live stream.

Tuesday morning, Keys Gate students headed back to school with heavy hearts.

“I’m thinking about going to class now, said one student. “I have a class with one of them that passed, and I’m not going to see them there anymore.”

“I can’t really,” said another student. “It’s shocking that they really passed so soon.”

Police believe speeding caused the crash.

Copyright 2020 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.