Some dishes have the perfect combination, and “Surf and Turf” is one of them. Tonight, a chef serves it up, Spanish style. Time to grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Sergio Catalina Bellmónt
The Restaurant: Bellmónt Spanish Restaurant in Coral Gables
The Dish: Surf & Turf
1 large wild prawn
5 oz. Seminole Black Angus tenderloin (or tenderloin of your choice)
2 tsp. sautéed baby garlic and chopped parsley, reduced in white wine
2 cups portobello mushrooms
1 cup cherry tomatoes
3 oz. baby spinach
2 Tbs. olive oil
4 slices of Ibérico ham, chopped (or ham of your choice)
Sea salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
– Put olive oil on a hot griddle or large pan. Sear the tenderloin about a minute and a half on each side.
– Put a large wild prawn on next, and sprinkle with white wine to season. Sauté 3 to 4 minutes on each side to get it golden brown. Remove the tenderloin and set aside.
– To make the mushroom side dish, add more olive oil to a hot pan. Add portobello mushrooms and stir until they begin to reduce.
– Next, add fresh spinach and stir again. Add white wine and cherry tomatoes. Season with kosher salt and set it aside.
– At home, finish cooking the prawn and steak the way you like it, either in the oven or stove top. At Bellmónt, they finish the Surf & Turf on hot plates made of volcanic rock.
Top the tenderloin with sea salt, garnish the prawn with parsley and garlic and top off the mushrooms and spinach with chopped Ibérico ham.
Serving suggestion: Ribera Del Duero Wine
Bellmónt Spanish Restaurant
339 Miracle Mile
Coral Gables, FL 33134