(WSVN) - Grab a knife and try your skills at crushing cucumbers for this quick and healthy dish. That’s what’s cooking tonight as we grab a Bite with Belkys.
The Chef: Raymond Li
The Restaurant: Palmar at The Citadel
The Dish: Smashed Cucumber Salad
1 large cucumber (European preferably)
12 g. garlic, minced
30 g. Fresh citrus juice (lemon-lime juice, equal parts)
10 g. Rice Vinegar
2 g. Kosher salt
2 g. Shichimi togarashi (available in oriental markets – substitute with 50/50 blend of cayenne and chili powder)
3 g. Szechuan oil (can replace with store bought sesame chili oil)
Method of Preparation:
- Start by smashing cucumber using the side of a chef knife or the palm of your hands pressing it down on a flat surface or any method that is available and convenient to smash the cucumber.
- Once cucumber is smashed, slice into smaller pieces into desired shape.
- Add the garlic, fresh citrus juice, salt, togarshi to the cucumber and mix well. Let it marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Once mixed, add the homemade szechuan oil or chili sesame oil and mix again.
- Serve on plate or in bowl; spoon remaining sauce onto cucumber.
- Top with extra szechuan oil and togarashi.
- Best if served chilled.
Serving Suggestion: El Jardin and Tonic (Hendrick’s Gin, Cucumber, Rosemary, Tonic Water, Mint)
Palmar at The Citadel
8300 NE 2nd Ave.
Miami, FL 33138
Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.